HARRY Potter is Britain?셲 best book-to-blockbuster adaptation, say film fans.
Potter was in the top ten lists of 32 per cent of 2,000 moviegoers quizzed.
J.K. Rowling’s hit series pipped Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol to the number 1 spot.
The classic Christmas novel was mentioned in 30 per cent of top 10 lists, and third place The Shawshank Redemption was mentioned 28 per cent of the time.
Men tended to favour action movies, with James Bond topping their rankings of the best adaptations. It was followed by Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings saga and the Jason Bourne series.
Women preferred supernatural screen adaptations, with Harry Potter and A Christmas Carol coming out on top.
Most of the top 20 were 20th century books.
And it’s clear classic tales are still capturing hearts with Pride and Prejudice, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Alice in Wonderland all making the top 20.
2016 has also been a big year for film adaptations, as Bridget Jones’ Baby, The BFG and the new Jungle Book adaptation have all already hit screens this year.
UK'S TOP 20 BOOK-TO-FILM ADAPTATIONS
1. The Harry Potter series (by J.K. Rowling)
2. A Christmas Carol (by Charles Dickens)
3. The Shawshank Redemption (by Stephen King)
4. The Lord of the Rings saga (by J.R.R. Tolkien)
5. James Bond series (by Ian Fleming)
6. The Bourne series (by Robert Ludlum)
7. The Green Mile (by Stephen King)
8. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (by Roald Dahl)
9. The Hobbit (by J.R.R. Tolkien)
10. Forrest Gump (by Winston Groom)
11. Bridget Jones?셲 Diary series (by Helen Fielding)
12. Jurassic Park (by Michael Crichton)
13. The Chronicles of Narnia series (by C.S. Lewis)
14. The Jungle Book (by Rudyard Kipling)
15. The Godfather (by Mario Puzo)
16. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (by Ken Kesey)
17. The Hunger Games trilogy (by Suzanne Collins)
18. Pride & Prejudice (by Jane Austen)
19. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland (by Lewis Carroll)
20. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (by Steig Larsson)